I am participating in a new writing group (or trying to at least since it seems they are more of an east coast group.) It’s called Silent Writers and the call is to write for an hour a week silently. It’s Tuesday nights at 9pm. Usually, I’ve thought about something I want to write about or at least formed some words in my head.
But all my words right now bounce around my head to the theme of OMG APRIL IS EIGHT WEEKS AWAY! See, I am scheduling my dissertation defense for the first week of April and I have a lot to do before then and it’s kinda freaking me out.
So then I saw a couple of posts on a theme: 50 things that make you feel normal. Here is the original and the first one I read. Both are from excellent blog writers and I enjoy reading their stuff very much. In an effort to be more Zen and in the moment which is never easy for me, I am going to attempt to do this as unedited as possible. So here goes:
1. Eating an orange.
2. Snuggling with Jasmine by my side.
4. Having dinner with Chris and catching up on our days.
5. Feeling the warmth of the sun on my face knowing so many people are experience snowpocolype across the country.
6. Missing snow days.
7. Typing/writing my thoughts down free form.
8. Writing for school.
9. Prepping for class.
10. Teaching when I feel crappy and remembering why I am doing this.
11. Wool/cotton blend socks.
12. Fleece slippers.
13. Flannel pajama pants.
14. Drinking water.
15. Looking at pictures from NZ.
20. Sleeping on my back and snoring.
21. The weight of my book-bag on my shoulder.
22. My water bottle.
23. Matilda’s meow.
24. A hug from Chris.
25. The hum from the heater.
26. Watering plants.
28. Buying daffodils at the grocery store.
31. CHEESE. (Wow, I can’t believe it took me this long to think of cheese!)
33. Talking to my mom.
34. Texting Julie or Kathleen.
35. Walking to class, especially in anticipation of great discussions of literature or lit theory.
36. My red coat.
37. Listening to the Glee soundtrack in the car and singing at the top of my lungs without a hint of shame.
38. Tea. (Home brewed from loose leaf only.)
39. Coffee. (Preferably made by someone else and all fancy with cinnamon on top.)
40. Chocolate cupcakes with white frosting.
43. Washing laundry (but not folding or putting it away).
46. Watching The Guild.
48. Loving, physically and emotionally.
49. Gaming and giggling with good friends.
50. Knowing that with all I know I still have so much to learn.